Vocal Training 2013 - War No More!
6th-9th September 2013, at St Mark's Church, Broomhill, Sheffield, S10 2SE
The program for this event is now available for download here.
Register online to book your place! More information about the event below...
"He will judge between many peoples and will settle disputes between strong nations far and wide. They will beat their swords into ploughshares, and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up sword against nation, and they will train for war no more. Everyone will sit under their own vine and under their own fig tree, and noone will make them afraid, for the Lord Almighty has spoken." [Micah 4:3-4]
Prophesies like these can seem a far cry from the real world, and it's all-too-easy to assume they're just about a perfect heavenly future that will only exist after some far-off apocalypse. But Jesus didn't see prophesies this way. To him the words of the prophets were imperatives to act now, to fulfill them in his own life (e.g. Luke 4). How can we follow Christ's call to be peace-makers today? Perhaps, just as in Micah's time, it has a lot to do with finding just settlements to disputes, diverting resources away from military equipment to peaceful work such as agriculture, and vitally making sure that everyone has access to fruitful land and resources!
For Vocal Training this year we will be gathering in a church in Sheffield which was radically rebuilt after it was destroyed by bombing during World War II. We will dare to imagine a world at peace, and explore how we can begin to fulfill such visions in our own life-times. This event aims to be a relaxed residential gathering with a strong sense of community; like a cross between a spiritual retreat and a peace & justice activism skillshare! For a weekend we'll be living, eating, learning, praying and laughing together, and we'll all need to pitch in with the washing-up etc too!
What will it involve?
- Diverse program of workshops and discussions covering grass-roots community-building, social justice campaigning and arts & crafts.
- All meals provided, cooked at the venue using ingredients which are veggie/vegan, organic and/or fairtrade where applicable.
- A regular rhythm of prayer-times throughout the event, following the pattern of a home-spun radical new-monastic community.
- Includes a visit to a local agricultural project to get hands-on experience with sustainable farming!
- Some space in the program is kept unplanned so that delegates can spontaneously lead their own workshops, plot a revolution, have an awesome jamming session or just get to know people over many cups of tea!
- Bring your own musical instruments or other creative material and share your talent in the good-humoured, relaxed setting of our cabaret!
- There will be opportunities to get involved in the active life of the Church which is hosting us (St Mark's, Sheffield), including their soup run for the homeless and a contemplative "night service" on Sunday evening.
- This event is open to people of any or no religious background.
- After the event, delegates are also invited to travel with us to London, where we'll be taking creative non-violent action on 10th September. Even if you can't make it to London, you can try your hand at painting banners and designing eye-catching protest stunts at Vocal Training!
When? Starts 5pm, Friday 6th September 2013. Ends 12pm Monday 9th September
Where? St Mark's Church, Broomhill, Sheffield, S10 2SE (see directions on the Church's website).How much?
Full weekend ticket:
Before 31 July: Student / unwaged: £17
After 31 July: Student / unwaged: £27
Saturday or Sunday only day ticket:
Student / unwaged: £13
!£5 off your ticket for every person you invite who comes! Invite your SPEAK group to come to Vocal Training with you; feel free to split the savings between you. Or invite people you barely know on Facebook; the more the merrier!
Accommodation? Crashpad space upstairs in the church; you'll need to bring your own sleeping bag and roll-mat / air matress!
Book your place at this event here.
Not sure which day(s) to come just to catch the bits you're most excited about? Check out the program here.
Or feel free to chat to us about it: email@example.com or 0208 9819441.